Saturday, February 15, 2014

School-Story Saturday: Girls are always in love with me

So yesterday being Valentine's day AND my first midterm of the semester, I didn't have time to write, so I guess you'll figure out what Fridays are for this upcoming week.

However, during the school year (not including summer and winter break), Saturdays shall be dedicated to Matheson's school stories. Most of you that have met my son, know he's quite the talker and has a lot of bizarre stories, but I think the best ones come from school. I guess the idea I'm working with here is that every Saturday caps the end of the school week so it's the best day for me to retell his best or more important stories on my Saturday blog posts.

This week wasn't particularly interesting, I usually have a lot of funny stories regarding the father of one of my son's friends at school and how he creepishly follows me home, but that's another blog post on it's own.

There was one day in particular that stood out this week though. I picked my son up from school at 11:30 AM as per usual, and while we were walking to the car he says "Maya F would not stop making fun of me so I ignored her to teach her a lesson."

First, I would like to address an important thing...
Am I allowed to use real names in this blog without their consent? I mean I'm not going to go ask the little girl's mother for permission to use her name, but is that allowed? Can someone please let me know if I can do that?

Second point of address, someone was making fun of my son.

I asked him what was being said, but he refused to tell me. Normally, I don't care for name-calling. I personally think that when your kid gets called names, they develop a tougher skin, kind of like an immunity. The more viruses your body successfully fights off, the better your immune system. Likewise, the better you are at handling being called names, the tougher your metaphorical name-calling skin is. However, there's always a boundary to these things, or a degree where, once exceeded, your barrier does nothing for you. Kind of like ebola virus or bubonic plague.
Anyway, I tried pressing further to figure out the "degree" of this name calling by asking him if Maya F said things to him that were hurtful. He said no, they weren't hurtful, just silly. I was driving the car at the time so I couldn't read his facial expression, but I figured he was being honest because he's only in junior kindergarten. We make fun of each other all the time, calling each other smelly or poopy or other juvenile adjectives to denote the characteristics of fecal matter or... like... boogers and stuff. Personally, I think it's funny. I'm kind of a kid at heart so calling my son a poopy is equivalent to calling him an angry jelly bean. It doesn't make sense, it's not even insulting, but it's the playful sort of name-calling that he can accept as being humorous rather than hurtful.

Anyway, back to Maya F...
I remember at the beginning of the year she made fun of Matheson because of his shoes. Now, normally my son doesn't fit into normal shoes because his feet are so large. I usually buy him skater shoes because they're wideset and perfect for his foot shape. He has two pairs of DCs, a pair of Etnies, Circas, a regular pair of dress shoes, because every boy needs dress shoes, and running shoes with Angry Birds on them because he's obsessed with Angry Birds. Of all the pairs of shoes to wear, he decided to wear his dress shoes to school because, well, what can I say? My son likes dress shoes.
Big deal, right?

Although I say that sarcastically, apparently they actually were a big deal because Maya F made fun of him for wearing them then too. So clearly, this name calling thing is ongoing, but he usually just ignores it - or so he says. Either way, I'm proud of him for that because whatever his rebuttal could be, it would only add fuel to the fire and I'm glad he recognizes that as a consequence.

Anyway, when we got home, we followed routine as per usual, I give him lunch and we sit down and talk for a bit about his day, then we do our own thing, he usually draws or colours in his notebooks while I do my homework or study. While we had our little post-lunch discussion, he said to me "I think Maya F is in love with me."
I choked on a laugh and said "Why do you say that?" and he goes "she always tries to sit with me and fights with Isabella for the spot beside me. Then she makes fun of me all the time. Everyone knows when girls make fun of boys its because they're in love with them."
I just laughed and agreed.
We had a short moment of silence and then he says,
"Why are girls always in love with me, it's so gross, I don't want to be in love!"



No comments :

Post a Comment